Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Kason's Birth Story Part 2

The nurse had a difficult time with the hep-block, and it seriously hurt! I knew this pain was completely irrelevant compared to the pain I would eventually feel. Around 8:00 that night, the first round of medication was started. My contractions picked up, but nothing too painful, just cramps for now. When it was time to administer the next round, they were unable to because my contractions were too consistent. About an hour later, they came back and tried again.

Keith and I didn't really sleep much that night. At 9:00, we got to watch one of Keith's favorite shows, Nashville. That was the first time I had watched a TV show (other than Sesame Street) from start to finish since probably before Lexi was born. In the middle of the night, Keith was by my side watching the monitor. He was a little concerned about Kason's heart rate, but I told him he couldn't sit there all night and worry. I knew the nurses at the nurse station were keeping an eye on it. At some point in the night, Keith pointed out the empty bassinet. I held back tears as I thought about how that bed would soon be filled with this new little life God was blessing us with.

Around 3:30 that morning, my doctor pops in, and says, "Good morning! How's it going?" He asked how much I was dilated last time they had checked (1), and then told us he had a lot going on that day, but that he was going to do his best to catch this baby. I felt so bad for him, because he was completely crushed about rupturing his achilles. That is a major injury to someone who runs, and he was upbeat still, but you could tell he was down.

At 6:00 a.m., pitocin was started. They started out high, then dropped it down. The next time I looked, it was HIGH (I think around 12, when I had started at 3). Contractions got pretty intense pretty fast at this point. I was informed that the hospitalist would come in to break my water. Keith and I had no clue who the hospitalist was, so Keith went down to the nurse's station to ask if Dr. Wilson (a 3-year resident Keith knew and trusted), could do it. He came pretty quickly, and was very peppy! I asked him if he would wait until I wasn't contracting, and informed him I was a bad patient. He was very patient with me, and got the job done quickly. He informed us I was now a 4, and 70% effaced. Of course, the contractions picked up more at this time.

My mom and sister were being informed throughout all of this, but no one honestly had no idea how fast/slow this was going to go, especially since with Lexi, it was an all-day process. Around 10 a.m., I got the epdiural (I knew this time around, as much as I didn't want to get one, that I was not going to be a hero and go through the pain of piton contractions ALL day long.) An hour later, I was an 8...

Within the next half hour, nurses were switching (mine got sick and had to go home), and prepping the room for the delivery. WOW! That was all I could think...I was going to have a new baby in my arms shortly. Dr. Sterling was in another surgery at this point, but Dr. Rapp would be coming soon, my nurses informed me. They had me do a few practice pushes, then lay on my right side to get my cervix to move the little bit that it needed to, and within 10 minutes or so, my body was ready! In walks Dr. Rapp, I had nurses on either side along with my supportive husband. Let's get this party started!

No comments:

Post a Comment